Fort Hunter’s Covered Bridge was originally built around 1881 to span Little Buffalo Creek in Oliver Township, Perry County and was known as the Everhart Covered Bridge. When Mrs. Margaret Wister Meigs, the preserver of Fort Hunter, heard of its planned replacement by the Highway Department in 1941 she simply bought the bridge to save it. She had it dismantled and placed on the front lawn of the Mansion as a park attraction, where it sat for forty years.
By 1980 the bridge had deteriorated. It was dismantled and placed in storage. When the gift of the park was made in 1980, it was understood by all parties that all of the historic structures would eventually be restored, including the covered bridge.
In 2006 after years of planning, the bridge was recreated and located on the northeastern edge of the park. The original elements proved invaluable in recreating the current bridge.