Built in 1929, the Fort Hunter Service Station/Tourist Camp was owned and operated by the Martin family and served the communities between Harrisburg and Amity Hall. In the early days of the automobile, people traveled for pleasure to see the countryside. The gas station and tourist accommodations were part of this growing phenomenon.
In 1946 the Martins renovated the station to include a coffee shop, gift and antique shop. The Martins sold the station in 1955 to Areo Oil Company, who leased it to the Neidig family. The Neidigs carried Atlantic products and operated the station until 1963, when planning was underway to reduce the traffic on Front Street.
The station ceased being a service station and has had a variety of uses over the years, one of which was a bait shop in an adjacent building. In 2009 Dauphin County purchased the land and buildings for their preservation and public use at Fort Hunter.