“Hit the Road Educational Tour” Haunting Halloween AdventureJoin the Friends of Fort Hunter for a trip to Philadelphia for three haunting visitations – the Eastern State Penitentiary; the home of Edgar Allan Poe and Continental Tavern. During the trip Dr. Donald Koones will provide an energetic historical review of both historical sites.
The first stop will feature the Eastern State Penitentiary which was operational from 1829 through 1971 where famous inmates Al Capone and bank robber, Willie Sutton were imprisoned.
The second stop was once the home of the master of suspense and horror, Edgar Allan Poe. This home witnessed his most prolific writing period producing “The Tell-Tale Heart”, “The Murder in the Rue Morgue”, and “The Gold Bug.” Special attention will be given to the basement which resembles a scene described in “The Black Cat”.
The final dinner stop will be in the historic and haunted Continental Tavern , dating from 1864. This tavern concealed a stop on the “Underground Railroad”, witnessed two (2) murders, and possessed 10,000 whiskey bottles from the Prohibition Era. Finally, the tavern is haunted and visitors discuss their paranormal experiences.
Bring a bag lunch, snacks and beverages (no cans, beverages must have lids)to eat on the bus between the Penitentiary and Poe House sites.
Park in the Centennial Barn parking lot. Please secure your vehicle and do not leave valuables visible in your car.Participants that are not members of the Friends of Fort Hunter will automatically receive an “Individual” level membership ($25 value) in the Friends of Fort Hunter with the trip ticket. Cost:$150 non-members; $130 members Click here for tickets Trip itinerary:
- Bus departs Fort Hunter Centennial Barn parking lot at 7:45 a.m. (please arrive for check-in by 7:30 a.m.)and returns by approximately 8:30p.m. (Please secure your vehicle)
- Guided audio tour of Eastern State Penitentiary
- Bring your own bag lunch
- Escorted tour at Edgar Allan Poe Historic Site
- All-Inclusive Buffet at Continental Tavern
- Transportation by Cross Country Coach
- Admission to Eastern State Penitentiary, Edgar Allan Poe Historic Site, narration by Dr. Donald Koones and all-inclusive buffet at Continental Tavern
- Not included – Gratuity for the bus driver