The Federal style Mansion, on the site of the old French and Indian War Fort Hunter, was built in three sections. The two front sections were built for Archibald McAllister with locally quarried stones. The grand front mansion was erected in 1814 while the middle “cabin” section, built in 1786, was the first McAllister house. The rear wooden portion was built by Daniel Dick Boas in 1870.
Etched by the lives of prominent Harrisburg families, Fort Hunter Mansion remains very much a home. With its handsome entrance hall, elliptical staircase and furnishings of the Reily family, 19th century life is richly portrayed and can be viewed on guided tours.