Heckton Church was built in 1885 on land donated by the Henrietta P. McAllister, widow of a grandson of the builder of the Mansion. Heckton Methodist Church was damaged by fire in 1927, the interior reflects some alterations from that time.
In 2003 the church had been without a congregation for two years when the Conference Board of Trustees of the Central Pennsylvania Conference of the United Methodist Church agreed to donate it to Fort Hunter Park. Fort Hunter and the County of Dauphin are pleased to have the opportunity to preserve another local landmark.
The church stood in the flood plain of the Susquehanna River near the mouth of Fishing Creek for over one hundred years. In that time, floods had damaged it significantly several times. In 2009 Fort Hunter moved the church to the southern end of the park to protect it from further flooding.
As a result of the relocation, for the first time since its construction in 1885 the church has running water, a bathroom and is handicap accessible—but little else has changed.
The church is a perfect location for a small wedding or service, click here to check availability and make reservations.